Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Distance from the Head to the Heart...



...is filled with twists and turns.

It takes a lot longer for information to travel that short distance than it should. For example, two days ago I was asked the question:

Do you love God with all your heart?


Of course. Yeah.

Do you follow all of His commandments?


No. Duh.

I just asked you the same thing.


Huh?

God said If you love me you will what? keep my commandments.


Huhmm interesting, good point.


Didn't think anything else about it.

Until today.

I was sitting around, taking a break from everything going on, when all a sudden it hit me -

I must not love God.

I do not keep His commandments. In fact, I couldn't even tell you all of His commandments. That's a problem. How am I supposed to serve my King and follow His orders if I don't know what they are?

Maybe you are the same way. Maybe you would say "yeah, I love God" but you don't keep his commandments. Maybe you don't know where to start.

I'm going to start in His Word. I can sit down and read a "pleasure" book for hours upon end. Sometimes I'll spend 30 minutes to an hour reading the Bible. But hours upon end? Nope. I am going to try to read the Bible instead of a pleasure book. Instead of picking up any ol' book and reading when I have a spare moment here and there, I resolve to pick up the Bible.

Oh, something else that was said to me that day.

We like to sentimentalize our love for God in the church today. Oh, yes, of course, we all love Jesus, but we don't follow His commands. We commit High Treason against our King and we say we love Him. I don't think so.




Will you join me in trying to keep the commandments of God? Will you join me in learning to love the King?

original image source

No comments: