Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chocolate Chip Scones

My first attempt at scones ... and other than me making them twice as big as I was supposed to, they turned out pretty well. =) You could make a glaze to put over them if you wanted them a little sweeter, but we opted for the "healthy" version, sans glaze. I found the recipe on the Incredible Edible Egg.

These are great for breakfast or a not-too-sweet dessert.

What you'll need:

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cold, cut into pieces
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk OR half-and-half


What to do:

Heat oven to 425. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender (and the pastry blender works SO MUCH better if you have one. Otherwise, make do using two forks) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add chocolate chips; toss to mix. (I forgot to add the chocolate chips until AFTER the ingredients were moistened, oops. Still turned out ok *grin*)

Beat eggs and milk in medium bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Knead dough a few strokes on lightly floured surface; pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into rounds with lightly floured 3-inch cutter (I only had an almost 4-inch cutter, which is why mine turned out almost twice as large); place on greased baking sheet. Gather scraps and repeat to use all dough.

Bake in 425 oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. (Mine didn't turn golden brown; I just kept an eye on the bottom of the scones and when the edges there started browning I took them out. It was about 10 minutes.) Cool on wire rack. (I made do with my dish drainer! I know, how can I not have wire racks ... but I don't. Figure out what works and use it. ;-) )

So, any ideas how to make the cream that usually accompanies scones? I didn't know how to do that, but really these don't need it.


PS - if you want a glaze, melt some margarine in the microwave and then add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. 

No comments: