Thursday, December 17, 2015

#StorytimeChristmasCountdown Day 17: The Legend of the Christmas Rose



The Legend of the Christmas Rose
by: William H. Hooks
Picture Book

Not a Personal Library "Must-Have"
When I picked up this book, I was expecting the legend of poinsettia - I had actually never heard of this legend before! My only issue from this story is not in the retelling of it, but with the legend itself. The idea of an angel causing flowers to bloom for a little girl to have something to bring Jesus rubs me the wrong way. The retelling is done beautifully, and the illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to the text. In fact, the illustrations are my favorite part of the book! Engagingly and simply told.

Retelling of the Legend: 5 stars
Legend Itself: 1 star
Illustrations: 5 stars
Average: 3.5 stars



To see other books in the #StorytimeChristmasCountdown Collection, click here.

No comments: