Monday, June 29, 2015

"Don't Judge Me!" (Part 1)


"Judge not, lest you be judged" - Matthew 7:1

How many times have we seen this proudly proclaimed on social media?

Don't judge me for being transgender.

Don't judge others for being homosexual.

Don't judge me for getting a divorce.

Don't judge me for dressing immodestly.

Don't judge those who believe different from you.

You can't tell me I'm wrong.

You can't make any statement indicating disapproval.

Don't judge me bro.

Don't judge others.

Regardless of what you think about the particular issues mentioned above, there's a problem with every single one of the above statements.

They're all judgements.

All of them, inherently, proclaim "You are wrong if you judge me/others for this."

Saying that 'something is wrong' is a judgement.

It is impossible to hold to any position proclaiming "don't judge me" or "you shouldn't judge others" and be consistent, for you are always judging those who disagree with you. Just think about that next time you're tempted to post something in that vein (or see someone who does).


Tomorrow, I'll address Christians specifically in how we ought to handle the issue of judging others.

(original picture source)

No comments: