Monday, January 11, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood



#vtReadingChallenge
Week 2: A book more than 100 years old



by: Howard Pyle

Drags if You Already Know the Legends

Before I picked up this book I knew I was familiar with most of the legends regarding Robin Hood and his Merry Men. Still, I had heard that Pyle had the best telling of these stories, and I thought I ought to make sure I was acquainted with all the tales of this most famous band of outlaws. 

If you are not familiar with these legends, you should probably read this book given how famous Robin Hood is. If you, like me, are familiar with the stories ahead of time, reading this is not necessary. I believe there might have been one or two stories I had forgotten, but truthfully I knew the tales already which made the work drag - I expected to be finished with the book before I was even halfway! 

This isn't to say that the stories aren't well told, but they are not written in today's style of action. They largely are larks while taking time to note the beauty of the world. These stories are much better suited to children than to adults. For adults, Stephen Lawhead's King Raven Trilogy would likely be more a more appealing telling of the tales. 

3 stars.

This review appears as a part of the Reading Challenge 2016. To see other books in the challenge, click here.

No comments: