Wednesday, August 22, 2007

How "Free" is Our Will?



I hear a lot about Arminianism vs Calvinism*, Free Will vs Predestination, and so forth.
For those who think we have a totally free will, let me pose a senario to you.

You are standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon with a straight shot down - no ledges to catch yourself or any other conveniences of the type. A madman with a gun is shooting everyone in sight, and you're next. Can you will the bullet to stop and not hit you? Can you will to jump straight up into the air and not fall? No! Why not? Because we are not free from the laws of physics and gravity. So there is some restraint on our will. I can will to fly all I want, but aside from airplanes and the like, it isn't going to happen. Freedom within bounds.

Now I seriously don't think that most people take freedom to that degree, but some do. So the question becomes - how restrained is our will? and If God foreknows the future, are you really free to make the choices you will make tomorrow or is it predetermined?

Church - wake up! While we sit back in our sanctuary's (sheltering us from the world) people are dying and going to hell! Instead of debating how people become saved, let's go out there and tell people about Jesus so they can be saved. It doesn't really matter how the saving process works as long as people are being snatched from the fires of hell and brought into communion with God. So stop debating theology and get out into the world and start sharing Jesus!

Don't think I'm good at doing this either. It's much easier for me to debate Arminianism and Calvinism and other points in which Christian theology varies here and there than for me to go out to the local mall and tell someone about Jesus. But I'm to the point now where I want to scream and pull my hair when people sit around discussing free will, etc. I honestly don't care how it works! Sure, I have my theory, but it's just that - a theory. Why don't we start living like Jesus and being salt and light instead of tearing down our brothers and sisters in Christ?

This world is going to hell in a handbasket. If big events would have saved the world (or at least America) - it would have been saved by now. If cheesy T-shirts and logos and bumper stickers would do the job - the job would be done. If preachers alone would reach the world - it would have been reached. But it doesn't work that way. We need individuals who haven't gotten over their salvation. We need people who aren't ashamed to talk about Jesus and back their words up with their life. We need people to simply bring Jesus to your neighbor, my coworker, your family, my friend - and no one, no one is better equipped to do that than you and me.

This is my resolution - to talk to those I can about Jesus - in the mall, in the grocery store, at the bank. Will you join me?




 * Idle question: why is it always "Calvinism vs. Arminianism"? Why not reverse the two? Tradition? Preference of theology? It's not important, just something I noticed.

original image source

No comments: