Monday, May 9, 2016

Reading Challenge 2016: The Story of Sacajawea




#vtReadingChallenge
Week 19: A historical book

The Story of Sacajawea: Guide to Lewis and Clark 

by Della Rowland

Easy Read 

I appreciated that this book is perfect for its target audience of young children, but still enjoyable for older ages. I'm well passed the intended audience and still learned a few things!

What I appreciated: fact is fact (as far as I know) because we have the extensive journals of the expedition to glean information from.

What isn't so great: Young children (target audience) will probably not catch the speculation of Sacajawea's early life (before she meets Lewis & Clark). As an adult, I caught the qualifiers of the author, but I feel certain that as a child I would have read right over them.

What I appreciated: There's not political agenda. This is just super abbreviated story of a historic expedition.

This is a great book for young children as an introduction to the exploration of the Louisiana Purchase. It's also a quick and easy read for adults looking to learn a few things about that expedition.

4 stars.

This review appears as part of the Reading Challenge 2016. To see other books in the challenge, click here.
 

No comments: