Friday, December 4, 2015

#StorytimeChristmasCountdown Day 4: The Crippled Lamb




The Crippled Lamb
by: Max Lucado
Board Book

Disappointing

Unlike others who give this book a low rating, my complaint isn't that the title calls the lamb "crippled" While I understand their concerns, it is a descriptive (accurate) word - it may not be ideal, but its also not a surprise since it's in the title.

Instead, my complaint is that this story seems a stretch - even for an imaginative retelling of the nativity. Mary & Joseph (I doubt) would talk of their son as the new king, nor would they say that he came from heaven to teach us...to a lamb no less! My biggest complaint, though, is that Mary tells the lamb that God heard the lamb's prayer & that the baby Jesus was the answer. Lambs don't pray!

I don't have a problem with making animals talk, but that just goes too far. Especially as the conclusion of the story is basically the lamb kept Jesus warm and that was the "special purpose" of his LIFE. I know its a child's board book, but that's just too simplistic for me & isn't what I want my children believing.

Obviously, many don't have a problem with the content, but I thought I'd voice my concerns in case there were others who with they had known this information before acquiring the book.

The accompanying illustrations are well done.

2 stars


To see other books in the #StorytimeChristmasCountdown Collection, click here.

No comments: